Amberg Adolf (1874-1913), Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin (KPM)
The groom on the horse in the image of the Roman warrior from the series «Wedding Motorcade»
Height 42 cm
Porcelain, sub-glassy painting, gilding
Adolf Amberg’s «wedding procession» was conceived for the Prussian court on the occasion of the wedding of Crown Prince Frederick Wilhelm and Cecilia von Mecklenburg-Schwerin, but was not performed for this occasion. In 1908, the first porcelain figurines were made after Theodore Schmuz-Baudis bought Amberg’s design for the Royal Porcelain Factory in Berlin. The CPM figures from the wedding set were first seen at the 1910 Exposition Universelle in Paris, and then shown entirely in 1911 as part of the Great Berlin Art Exhibition. The procession consists of a jardiniere, two bowls of fruit, two candelabras and twenty separate figures.